New research has found that older drivers are quicker to pass their driving test than younger generations.
Car insurance broker Adrian Flux requested data from DVSA to find out the true pass rates of learner drivers in the UK and the length of time it takes to pass their test.
Calculated from the time it takes for learner drivers to get their provisional licence, to the moment they receive their full driving licence, the data revealed that:
- More than two thirds (67.7%) of learner drivers get their full licence within a year, while only 18.5% get their full licence within the first six months
- 67.5% of 16 to 24-year-olds get their full licence within 12 months, while only 15.9% of them achieve their full licence within six months
- The percentage passing within a year generally increases the older the learner is – while 67% of 25 to 34-year-olds pass their test within the first 12 months, 76% of 55 to 64-year-olds achieve the same milestone
- 51% of 65 to 70-year-olds get their full licence within six months, while only 16% of those aged 16-24 get their full licence within the same timeframe
The research also revealed the best and worst regions for pass rates:
- Learner drivers in Llandrindod Wells have an overall pass rate of 66.2%, which is more than 20% higher than the average
- Learner drivers in Llandrindod Wells are twice as likely to get their licence within six months than the national average (36.3% compared to 18.5%
- Llandrindod Wells also tops the list for those passing within 12 months and 18 months
- Those aged 16-24 in Llandrindod Wells are also more than twice as likely as the average to get their full licence within six months
- Halifax, Oldham and Wolverhampton appear in the 10 worst areas for getting a licence with six months and 12 months – these places also appear in the top five worst pass rates in the country.
Dan Clark, product & underwriting development manager for Adrian Flux said: “While the findings are fascinating, it doesn’t change the fact that learning to drive can be one of the most testing and exciting experiences in life. So no matter how old you are or how long it takes you to pass your driving test, it’s all worth it in the end.”